Work as always has continued on our little cottage. My blogging has been sporadic due to my dislike of blogging about half finished projects, however this is a house of many big projects and I have decided to start breaking them down so my blogging is a little more regular!
We are still finishing off the endless snagging jobs in our living room and dining room. The skirting boards however are down and the floor is looking great. More on that in another post! We seem to be able to rip out a fireplace in half a day, but touching up the odd mark, or painting the last coat on the skirting boards seems to take us forever!!
Tom and I have spent the last week lying in bed looking at this for a ceiling.
Which is definitely better then this!
Artex and polystyrene tiles all on one ceiling. Aren’t we lucky?!
We started out with these great homemade built in wardrobes below, great for storage but falling apart and a bit too big for my liking. One of the previous owners had got a little carried away!
When we ripped them out we discovered wood chip covered walls hidden behind. A number of wires (one of them was live, just hanging there, I found out the hard way) and the gas pipe. We had opened a right old can of worms. Not to mention the polystyrene tiles that had been left on the ceiling inside the wardrobe. So after a day clearing our sinuses and pores steaming off the wood chip we arranged for the ceiling to be skimmed over. Plastering is not a DIY job I take on myself. Having tried it in the past, it’s better left to the professionals! The ceiling also required some sort of bonding agent first to get the plaster to stick.
Today we spent the day painting our new smooth and finally dry ceiling. More photos and an update coming soon. Holly spent the day at the vets with a very high temperature. She hasn’t been well for the past week and we were also at the vets over the weekend. So unfortunately this meant we missed the WIlmslow Artisan market this month. We were gutted but our little Holly dog needed us much more. They aren’t sure what the problem is and antibiotics don’t seem to be helping. We are back there in the morning for further tests, my poor girl. Fingers crossed her temperature comes down overnight. I’ll keep you posted on her progress as well as the decorating!